2011

Distinguished Alumni

Dr. Alvah L. Lord

Dr. Lord was one of Hamburg’s most respected physicians. Born in 1895 in Leon, N.Y., Alvah Lord moved to Hamburg at age four. He attended our local schools and was an active athlete. Dr. Lord graduated in 1920 from the UB School of Medicine. Practicing medicine in Hamburg for over 50 years as a general practitioner, Dr. Lord brought over 3200 babies into the world. He was a member of the Hamburg Legion Post since 1923 and was a past commander. He was also a selective service examiner for 30 years and a school health physician for over 40 years. During all these years, the devoted doctor also volunteered in the Red Cross tent at the Erie County Fair. Dr. Lord is also remembered as the owner of the 1840 Boies-Lord House, which was moved from its original site on Main Street to the Historical Museum site in 1979. This house was not just his home for his wife and children, but also served as his medical office. One of his famous quotes for doctors was “To cure sometimes, to relieve often, for comfort always.” Dr. Lord died in December of 1985.